My research interests span many fields in Earth Science, including:
- Crustal evolution, 4.4 Ga to present. ERC Synergy Grant 2020-2026.
- The igneous and metamorphic evolution of the crust during orogenesis with emphasis on the role of magmas, fluids, and thermobarometry.
- Precambrian geology and Early Earth
- Silicate and carbonate diagenesis.
- The rock record of past climate.
- Mineralogy & gemology.
- New technology for microanalysis of stable isotope ratios.
Projects generally stress an integrated approach to field-oriented studies, combining isotope geochemistry and mineral chemistry.
Many of these projects have involved use of laboratories for advanced geochemical
analysis in the Department of Geoscience, UW-Madison including:
Recent graduate theses include:
- Atom Probe Tomography and SIMS Studies of Hadean Zircons, Earth and Moon (Tyler Blum PhD 2019)
- Carbonate and Sulfide Diagensis, Bakken Fm. (Adam Denny, PhD 2019)
- Cephalopod ecology inferred from SIMS analyses of stable isotopes (Ben Linzmeier PhD 2017)
- Oxygen isotope thermometry in emery, Naxos, Greece (Rachelle Turnier MS 2017)
- Quartz-inclusion thermometry in Hadean zircons (Emma Cameron MS 2017)
- Carbonate diagenesis in sandstone, Illinois basin (Adam Denny MS 2016)
- Polyphase history of the 3.4 Ga Strelley Pool Chert (Jake Cammack MS 2015)
- Isotope zoning in titanite: Rapid cooling and uplift in the Grenville (Chloe Bonamici PhD 2013).
- Diagenesis and fluid flow, Illinois basin (Anthony Pollington PhD 2013).
- Genesis of low d18O rhyolites, Snake River Plain (Tyler Blum MS 2013).
- Isotope zoning in eclogite facies garnets (Ashley Russell MS 2012).
- Oxygen isotope study of daily depth migration of nautiloids (Ben Linzmeier MS 2012).
- Seasonality in Holocene Climate, Speleothems From Soreq Cave Israel (Ian Orland, MS 2008; PhD 2012).
- Oxygen isotope geochemistry, dinkey dome Pluton, Sierra Nevada (Raiza Quintero, MS 2011).
- Mineral inclusions in zircon, Hadean to present (Dayi Ortiz, MS 2010).
- Migmatites in the Adirondacks (Penny Lancaster, MS 2007).
- Analysis of oxygen isotope ratios in quartz overgrowths in St. Peter Sandstone,migration of basin brines and the genesis of MVT-type Pb-Zn ore deposits (Jacque Kelly, MS 2006).
- Oxygen isotope geochemistry of the Sierra Nevada batholith: magmatic source, wall rock contamination, cooling history (JS Lackey, PhD 2005).
- 4.4-4.0 Ga, Early Archean detrital zircons, Jack Hills, W. Australia, U-Pb
and O isotopes, oceans on Early Earth (Aaron Cavosie, PhD 2005).
- Origin of subduction-related silicic magmas, Nicaragua and Costa Rica (Jake
Eaton, MS 2004).
- Contact metamorphism of the Biwabik Fe Formation, MN, oxygen isotope speedometry.
(Beth Valaas MS 2004).
- Carbon isotope thermometry in granulite facies marbles, Salinian Block,
CA (Joyashish Thakurta, MS 2003).
- Source and alteration of granitic magmas, western US (Liz King PhD, 2001).
- Genesis of polymetamorphosed skarns, Marcy Anorthosite Massif, Adirondack
Mts, NY (Cory Clechenko, MS 2001).
- Fluid flow and formation of wollastonite skarns, Mt. Morrison Pendant, CA
(JS Lackey, MS 2000).
- Crustal input to anorthosite magmas, Grenville Province, Quebec and NY (William
Peck, PhD 2000).
- Member, National Academy of Sciences, AE for PNAS, 2019-
- Gemological Institute of America, Board of Governors 2014-
- Elements: Senior Editor, 2011-2015
- Mineralogical Society of America: President 2005-06
- American Journal of Science: Associate Editor, 1996-