University of Minnesota Duluth invites applications for a one-year, full-time sabbatical replacement

The Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences at the University of Minnesota Duluth invites applications for a one-year, full-time, faculty appointment to begin August of 2015. We seek a broadly-based earth scientist for a one-year sabbatical replacement position. The successful candidate will teach four courses in geological or environmental sciences that will help fill our curricular needs, which include geomorphology and/or structural geology. We will consider either a full-year appointment or two single-semester appointments. Appointment at the Assistant Professor level, which requires a PhD, is preferred, but applicants with appropriate qualifications may be considered at the ABD level.

This position requires 1) a master’s degree or equivalent advanced course work toward a PhD in earth science or related field from a regionally-accredited University or equivalent program; 2) experience in teaching, which may include teaching assistantships; and 3) excellent written communication skills. Preferred qualifications for all candidates include a PhD in earth science or related field from a regionally accredited university; evidence of effective teaching such as teaching evaluations, a letter from a colleague/supervisor who has observed your teaching or student evaluations; a history of collaboration with individuals of diverse backgrounds and demonstrated excellent oral communications and interpersonal skills.  

Complete on-line applications must include: 1) a cover letter; 2) a curriculum vitae; 3) names of 3 references and their contact information, and 4) a statement of teaching interest (additional Document 1). Also include evidence of effective teaching if available. (optional additional Document 2) . A complete application must be submitted online via the Employment Opportunities website using the following link:

Additional information about the appointment and search is provided in the attached file.

Questions about this search should be directed to Prof. Howard Mooers at