To charge out library materials, borrowers must have a valid UW-Madison ID Card or a special card from Memorial Library. Items may be recalled after one week when needed by another patron. Library materials may be renewed if not needed by another person.
note: Campus libraries often have different loan policies.
See: Loan periods for campus libraries.
Loan Periods and Reserves
- Unbound Journals: Circulate for 3 hours.
- Bound Journals: Circulate for 7 days.
- Faculty, Staff & Graduate Students: Due date is either May 30 or December 30.
- Undergraduate Students: Circulate for 28 days.
- For other patron categories, see: Loan periods for campus libraries.
- Reserves circulate for 3 hours. Reserve items can be checked out overnight when loaned within 3 hours of the library's closing time. Reserves can be renewed once.
Materials may be returned to the C. K. Leith Library of Geology and Geophysics or to other libraries participating in Open Return.
Please Note: Open Return is available primarily for items borrowed on the standard 28 day or semester loan period.
The following materials should be returned directly to the C. K. Leith Library of Geology and Geophysics:
- Journals/periodicals, bound and unbound
- Audiovisual materials (maps, video tapes, etc.)
- Items with a loan period of seven days or less
RenewalsAll Geology materials EXCEPT UNBOUND SERIALS may be renewed.
- Online through your MadCat Account.
- In person - Bring either the item itself or the barcode number(s) and your currently valid UW-Madison ID to the C. K. Leith Library Circulation Desk.
- By phone - Call 608-262-8956. Have the barcode number(s) for every item you wish to renew and the number of your currently valid UW-Madison ID.
- Mail - Send a list of barcode number(s) for each item and a photocopy of your currently valid UW-Madison ID to: C.K. Leith Library of Geology and Geophysics ATTN: Circulation 440 Weeks Hall 1215 West Dayton Street Madison, WI 53706.
- Email - Request a renewal(s) by sending an email message directly to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by using our contact form. Please include your name, ID number, telephone number or email address, book or serial title, Call number, and the barcode from the back of the item (number starts with an 89...).
Ways to renew:
Overdue reserve materials: $2.00/hour (following a 2 hour grace period) with a maximum accumulated fine of $35.00 for each item.
Lost items : The cost of replacement, depends upon the value of the lost item.
RecallsAll Geology materials EXCEPT RESERVES AND UNBOUND SERIALS may be recalled when you see (on MadCat) this status message: "Checked Out. Due on mm/dd/yy."
For more information on recalling items checked out by another patron, see the UW Libraries page on recalling material.