Geosci 100 is being taught 100% online this semester. Rather than selling lab manuals, GGSA is selling lab kits that include rocks, a teeny magnifying glass, and the 2017 Treinen Farm Trilobite corn maze/cabinet of …
Geoscience 100 sample collection
Introductory Geology: How the Earth Works (Geosci 100) student "collecting" rock samples for remote labs. Just one way our teaching teams are adapting to enhance remote learning experiences for students this fall.
A recent paper in published in Science by Assistant Professor Luke Zoet represents a major milestone in glaciology and solves a long standing issue for trying to resolve sub-glacial processes and will provide more accurate predictions related to future sea level rise.
Petroleum Experts Limited Donates Software Suite Valued At Over Two Million Dollars
To facilitate seismic research in the Department of Geoscience, Houston-based Petroleum Experts Limited has generously donated the MOVE Suite of software to the department. This software provides a full digital environment for best practice structural modelling to reduce risk and uncertainty in geological models. The Move suite provides a platform for integrating and interpreting data, cross-section construction, 3D model building, kinematic restoration and validation, geomechanical modelling, fracture modelling, fault response modelling, and fault and stress analysis.” The department greatly appreciates the opportunity for its students and faculty to work with MOVE. This donation provides students and faculty the opportunity to work with an advanced software suite that would otherwise be unavailable, building familiarity with industry workflows while advancing their own research. It is also helping to support the UW-Madison students involved in the Imperial Barrel Award (IBA) competition, as they learn how to evaluate new petroleum plays.
(Sorted by post creation date, not actual date of event.)
- OB Shelburne's new book From Pesidio to the the Pecos River is out
- Geosci 100 lab kit sales
- 2020 Spring Awards
- Petroleum Experts Limited Donates Software Suite Valued At Over Two Million Dollars to the Department of Geoscience For Research
- Interdisciplinary Cluster in Freshwater Sustainability
- Annual Alumni Reception during GSA
- John Fournelle elected as a Fellow of the Microanalysis Society
- Jobs!! We are hiring staff!
- Current GeoBadger first authors in the news - Liz Ceperley and Randy Williams
- CPAW 2019 Spring Research Symposium
- (updated) UW-Geoscience All Alumni Reunion, April 2019
- As Lake Michigan rises, bluffs collapse and geologists explore
- Antarctic ice sheet could suffer a one-two climate punch
- Stephen Meyers takes on climate change by promoting science literacy through music, art, comics
- Stephen Meyers in National Geographic Article on Summer Solstice